Elect Milena Abreu on August 30, 2016
For Miami-Dade County Court Judge
About Milena Abreu
Milena Abreu is an accomplished attorney and traffic hearing officer with over 15 years of experience in civil, criminal, and constitutional law matters, having handled thousands of cases. A veteran of over 100 trials, Milena has tried cases in felony, misdemeanor and juvenile courts.
Known for her in-depth knowledge of local, state and federal procedures, Milena currently works for the death penalty unit at the Office of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel, Third Region of Florida. She is also a Hearing Officer for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida, County Court, Traffic Division.
Instilled with a strong sense of justice and desire to work on constitutional law issues, Milena’s writing on human rights, immigration and the law was published in the Thomas M. Cooley Journal of Clinical Law in 1999.
Milena Abreu was born in New Jersey of Cuban parents. After graduating with a double baccalaureate degree from Rutgers College, she attended Loyola Law School in New Orleans.
In 1999, Milena moved to Miami to work for the Miami-Dade County Public Defender’s Office. She quickly rose through the ranks, establishing herself as an effective advocate for clients charged with the most serious offenses. As a senior attorney, she also coached and mentored newly admitted lawyers on advanced trial techniques.
After leaving the Public Defender’s Office, Milena applied her courtroom knowledge and experience in litigation and judicial rules of court to her work at a private firm, defending civil claims on behalf of insurance companies. She also instructed criminalist trainees in expert witness qualification, cross-examination and courtroom demeanor in a workshop held for the Miami-Dade Police Department.
Milena enjoys spending time with her daughter, motorcycling through the back roads of Florida, scuba diving, and studying flamenco dance.
- Office of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel – Assistant Regional Counsel
- Eleventh Judicial Circuit, Miami-Dade County, Traffic Division – Judicial Hearing Officer
- Morgan Albite, P.A. Miami – Senior Associate Attorney
- Miami-Dade Public Defender’s Office – Assistant Public Defender
- Milena Abreu, P.A. – Sole Practitioner
- Florida Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Private Court-Appointed Case Screening Committee
- Florida Bar Speakers Bureau
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Board of Directors, Miami Chapter
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Current Member of the Florida Bar Grievance Committee and Former Chair
- Coral Gables Congregational Church